1. Know your data
When formulating your data storage management policy, ask the following question
- How soon do I need the data back if lost?
- How fast do I need to access the data?
- How long do I need to retain data?
- How secure does it need to be?
- What regulatory requirements need to be adhered to?
2.Don't neglect unstructured data.
3.Understand your compliance needs.
4.Establish a data retention policy.
5.Look for a solution that fits your data, not the other way around.
6.Don't let upfront costs dictate your decision.
7.Use a tiered storage approach.
8.Don't store redundant data.
9.Make sure your data is secure.
10.Leverage technologies that use de-duplication, snapshotting and cloning.
11.Make sure you can find the data you need once it's been stored.
12.Have a disaster recovery plan and constantly test.